Track us as we go!


View Civil Rights Bike Ride in a larger map

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Across the Ohio! Jessica back to Chicago...

Yesterday morning we were joined by staff from OJPC,friends and supporters at Pendrey Park in Melbourne, Ky. We rode the last twelve miles as a smiling group. I got to help fix one more flat on one of the bikes. We crossed the Ohio on a bridge - an easy pedal for all of us - so different from and much easier than the journeys of those we commemorate with this ride.

It was very special to be greeted by Gene Mays - a former offender to whom we dedicated the ride. Just Thursday a Cincinnati Court stated that it was fine for the City to exclude him from the civil service list and ignore all the evidence he had presented of his rehabilitation. His years of productive living; educaton; great parenting; drug free living - none of it mattered. The City can refuse him a job simply because decades ago he committed drug related crimes. We hugged Gene and promised to keep advocating on his behalf. Gene needs a conductor. The City needs to lead the way on hiring former offenders like Gene who have earned a chance for solid employment. We need to turn former offenders into taxpayers. The journey continues.

Monday Jessica returns to Chicago. I will miss turning my head and sharing a random thought with her. I will miss the power surges mid-hill. I will miss the insight into all the people we met. I will miss the liaughing fits that come from trying to communicate when we are exhausted and still riding. I will miss the confidence I felt from Jessica in the midst of this really challenging adventure. But I have seventeen days of wonderful memories. And I have the future as I witness her tackle with vigor everything that will come her way.

Thank you Jessica for the greatest Father's Day gift a daughter can give her dad - a fabulous adventure together - that was a great ride! I love you very much. Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment