Track us as we go!


View Civil Rights Bike Ride in a larger map

Sunday, June 7, 2009

This One is for the Ladies (No one else allowed...)

My butt hurts. My back is sore. I look like I'm wearing shorts when I'm naked. Pimples have sprouted in all the wrong places. I have a permanent sweat stink. My hair spends most of the day matted to my head. I have one outfit that isn't made of spandex. I did not pack any make-up. And I feel great. I am a woman.



Trust me, I did not ever think I would be doing this. Sure, I liked to play rough. I wanted to hang with the boys. But, I was a figure skater. Figure skating is one of the few sports that requires getting pretty before performing. Don't get me wrong. Figure skating is hard work. In fact, I think it is my 12 years of competitive figure skating that prepared me for this ride... and life.

We live in a very fast world. We eat fast food. We go to school and have to learn seven subjects in 7 hours. We e-mail instead of writing letters. We are used to instant satisfaction. You want it. You get it. Skating everyday for 3 hours a day was not fast. It was an endeavour of patience and persistence. I spent most of my time training and preparing for only a few opportunities to shine, if all went well(and often it didn't). Skating was not about winning. It was about the process. As is this bike trip. I am definitely excited about the moment I get to ride over the Ohio river with friends and family by my side. But, that is only part of this journey.

Each day I am learning more about the joy and satisfaction that comes with slowness. I get to pedal through sweet smells of magnolia trees and roadkill. I get to feel pain and work through it. I have come to look forward to the occasional wave from front porch sitters to give me that extra ounce of energy up the hill. At the end of each day I feel like I have truly accomplished something. What I have accomplished is more than the number of miles I've covered or the calories I've burned. It's more than I can put into words. So, slow down. It may be a good thing to get involved in sports, relationships, ideas, games, groups that take time. There is power that comes from sitting with something for a while and letting it grow in you and with you. I am growing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess! I posted this the other night and not sure why it didn't post. It was in response to your dad's post about being proud of you. I just wanted to say that I am proud too. I check every night to see if you updated the blog and then I check out your weather for the next day. I had put in an order for a nice overcast day for you and hope you have had it. New comment for today...wow, how can I miss you when you are being so candid about pimples, sweat smell, and butt pain...it's like being in the office with you. Keep on pushing though and enjoy your ride and more importantly the time with your AMAZING dad!!! Thinking about you! ~Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jessica,
    I am also amazingly proud but after spending time with you in Zambia, I knew that you could do this. I love you so much and am thrilled to be following your experience with your dad. I worried about you yesterday so am glad to hear that you are "on the road again".
    Sweat, pimples, no make-up just make you more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete