Track us as we go!


View Civil Rights Bike Ride in a larger map

Saturday, June 13, 2009

"There's Something Happening Here"

I will always be Dad. But as the Buffalo Springfield sang, “There’s something happening here.” Being Dad does not always mean being in charge or knowing more or being the strongest. Early yesterday afternoon my hammers stopped pounding. They floated on the pedals. They were jello. Who was doing a power surge back there? How did we get up that hill? Who was calling out those words of encouragement? Who was that gentle person checking in on me asking if I was OK? Jessica. Daughter. Energized and in charge. I knew enough to get us started on this trip. But she is getting it done. Today is a much needed day off. My back hurts. I may be a little slow as we start back on the road tomorrow. But that’s OK, Jessica is with me.

1 comment:

  1. I'll see your Buffalo Springfield and raise you a Bob Dylan:

    "....something is happening here, but you don't know what it is, do you, Mister Jones?"

    But your name isn't Jones and YOU DO KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE, so you win. :^)

    Glad to read you are getting some needed rest. Eat more candy.

    E. Branch

    ReplyDelete