Track us as we go!


View Civil Rights Bike Ride in a larger map

Saturday, June 6, 2009

Rest Day

It's easy to get caught up in the drive. Growing up as the youngest daughter in a family of do-ers has been one of the greatest igniters in my life. If my brothers could do it, you better believe I was going to do it, preferably better. I could not stand when the boys and dad would go off on a birding trip or backpacking trip and leave me at home. But being 4 and 6 years younger than my brothers inevitably led to times I just wasn't ready for the adventure.

Still, I have been on my fair share of end of the world expeditions. It is fun. The exhilaration of doing something a little beyond rationality. Yesterday when we decided to press on despite not knowing where we would stay, my dad looked over at me and said, "Are we stupid?"
"Yes," I said.
And we smiled and biked out of Jackson.

Going to the end of the world is for the soul, the bonding experience, and of course the ego. The body sometimes has other ideas. My body spoke up last night. After two 90 mile days, countless hills, and rain coming in every direction, my achilles tendons felt it. I've never had achilles tendon pain before, and of course my first instinct was... It'll be fine- PRESS ON! But upon further reflection, we have decided to stay in Butler, Alabama today and rest.

My incredible dad got up at 6am and spent the first few hours of the day researching achilles tendonitis. We have been reaching out to all who know anything on the subject all day and are enacting several solutions.

1. Change position of cleat
2. Tape ankles
3. Slight lowering of seat
4. Rest, Ice, Ibuprofen

We are open to any other advice out there. Tomorrow we are going to move on, but with the option to do a much shorter day than our norm depending on the pain. It's fun to get caught up in the drive, but not when the body gets left behind. So, today... today I am listening to my body. Suprisingly, I am missing the bike. It's crazy how quickly such an undertaking can infect you.

Also, new photos have been uploaded to our flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/civilrightsbikeride

3 comments:

  1. Oh baby!
    I hope you feel better, Miss Jess! I have been thinking about you and following you the whole way (thus far) and am so excited for you. You are a rock star. Through pain and rain, keep on truckin'. Can't wait to hear all of your stories!
    Melanieeeeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephen for your enthusiasm! It gives us energy to know that people are excited back home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've had achilles tendonitis and it's no fun. take care of yourself. i'm so impressed with the mileage you've put in so far. missed you in cincy this past weekend but glad you're on the road going the good work.

    ReplyDelete